T3

Another Power Failure Crash

It's so sad to see all your hard work fall from the sky like a rock.  This past Friday after work, I tried to fly my usually circle flight plan at a field next to my work.  Everything seem normal, I switched to ALT HOLD and then switched AUTO and off it flew to waypoint 1 at 20 meters right in front of me.  It had a 10 second delay, which it never finished.  I'm not sure yet what happened, but it just fell like a rock.  It landed upside down and damaged 3 arms and 3 motors, plus the stack on top broke all it's supports.  About $90 of parts, which I ordered Saturday.  And, I'm happy to report my order from 3DR has shipped tonight, I should see them Friday. I'm really happy they turned my order around so fast.  Brownie points to 3DR and staff.

Now can someone give me some pointers on what I should look for and test to see why my copter failed?  I really don't want to fly again until I figure out what went wrong.  Last week I had tuned my gimbal thinking it was causing power problems and some weird twitching and 1 minor crash. I recently just added 3DR power module and pulled JP1, hoping this might help with power issues.  I had 2 successful flights and now this crash.  I also have a 5 amp BEC plugged into the output side of APM, plus 3DR PM.

I'm sorry to say the GoPro failed to capture the last few seconds of the flight.  Bummer, the last time I had a brownout the GoPro showed a great tumble to the ground.

I've attached my tlog, kmz and log files for review.

Firmware is 2.8.1.

Recently balanced props and mounted APM on foam corners.  I was just about to upgrade to 2.9.1. :-(

Thanks for the support.

Richard

2013-02-22 17-34-47.tlog

2013-02-23 18-15 1.log

2013-02-23 18-15 1.kmz

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• T3

As promised here is an updated picture of how I powered my camera gimbal.  Notice the extra GRD off ESC Outputs. Thanks to TCIII for his help.

3692667702?profile=original

• T3

I'm kind of a visual person, so I've drawn out a couple options.  Can someone take a look at my 2 options to powering my camera gimbals.  Which one is correct?  Also, how do I connect the ground (which I assume is "-" connection) to both locations?  Do I solder an extra wire between both the signal and power to connect a common GND?

Below is Option One:

3692636199?profile=originalBelow is Option Two:

3692636128?profile=originalThanks for the support.

Richard

• Developer

Here's a picture of how I look at connecting power to the APM 2.5. You can connect power to any pin on the 5V rail. The protection diode stops you power anything connected to outputs if the 5V in is connect to the inputs and A side. The 500mA fuse limits the current you can use on the Inputs & A side if you use the PM or connect 5V to Outputs. This shows how JP1 connect Outputs to Inputs and PM.

Hope this helps :)

3692636302?profile=original

• Developer
    Do you have your 5V supply do your servos for your gimbal connected to CH10/CH11 (ie. A10/A11)?

See my other reply to you here http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1125129

Even with the PM the Inputs 5V supply and the A0-A11 is limited to MAX 500mA due to an in circuit solid state fuse. 2 servos will draw in excess of 1A, so can cause a brownout.

Maybe that explains the crash?
  • wow that was a high fall hope you can get it back together 

This reply was deleted.

Activity