Removing apm 2.0 shield

Has anyone removed the shield to allow remote location (for traditional heli)?

Looks like it's possible to desolder the 6 pins (actually only 4 are soldered), and make an extension harness.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi 3Drobotics Team,

If future do you plan to provide just the daughter board - GPS. So people who want to use external GPS can just buy a new daughter board to use the GPS outside of fuselage?

Thanks
  • Dale

Just a thought on sourcing the header pins.  I'm not at home so can't measure the pitch required but the following link is close and there are plenty more to choose from on the site.  A better approach may be to ask DIY Drones, they seem a very helpful bunch. 

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/10075024-G01-06ULF/609-289...

• Dale

Did you end up removing the shield?  Any tips?  I fully understand this would be at my own risk.

The length of cables on my quad only allow the APM2 to sit on the bottom layer of my central electronics stack.  I'd rather have a clear view of the sky for the GPS by remotely positioning the shield at the top.

• Hi Dale,

The APM2 is not designed for the shield to be removed, and we do not recommend attempting to un-solder the shield. In the future, we will offer different options for the shield (check out Jordi's blog post here).

Our guy here at the store used a reflow gun to remove the shield from one of our test boards, but he does not recommend attempting this, and using a heat gun can be risky with the small components so near to the soldered pins. The ground pins are especially difficult to melt the solder and can take quite some time to heat up. If you and a friend have soldering irons, you can ask your friend to help you: If you cut the two pins underneath the shield on the side of the shield that are exposed, then you will only have the two pins on the other side of the shield to un-solder. Then you and your friend can try heating both pins up at the same time using two soldering irons and lift the shield off.

Please be aware that if you choose to unsolder the shield or modify the board in any way, it will no longer be covered under our warranty (please see our terms of use).

This reply was deleted.

Activity