Two channels aileron control

Hallo,
i play with idea to equip my airframe with ardupilot but i need to control ailerons by two separate channels. Is there any ardupilot modification with such feature?
In description i saw only one channel for ailerons ;o(

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In stead of a Y cable I use this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=...

There is one input and three outputs. The outputs can be delayed and one output can be reversed. So without delay and with one output reversed a perfect module for dual servo ailerons.
  • Developer
    @Kim, Curt, Greg,

My current plan is to do two channel aileron using a single channel from the TX and APM outputting two channels, one opposite of the other. I also plan to do a flaperon/spoileron setting where a fixed offset up or down will be added to both. I had not planned to have this triggered through the transmitter, but rather through the command set.

As far as controlling 5+ channel aircraft in manual mode I had not given this much consideration. While it is true that the multiplexor will only route 4 channels there is also a "Software Manual" mode which routes all 8 inputs to the outputs. You use this typically by setting Position 2 in the configuration to Manual. Your PWM value should be around 1685 which is below the 1750 threshold for the hardware MUX.

I would be VERY curious to hear others ideas about AUTO control scenarios beyond the 2 channel aileron and spoileron/flaperon scheme I outlined above. We do already have the functionality to run separate flaps on 1 or 2 channels using event commands in AUTO mode.
  • what about us people flying gliders with at least 7 channels? That's possible in the latest mega version or? How do you configure this?
  • This can be easily done with an external V-tail mixer board. The flap/brake will be strictly manual. The rudder input to the mixer will be aileron (from AP) instead and elevator input will be flap channel direct from the receiver. Program your transmitter for normal(1 servo)aileron mode. Flaps will be channel 6. Get everything going the right way, set end points ect.
  • If you mean control your ailerons over two channels (but they move in same direction). Do not modify any code just use a Y-connector (like I have had to do) on the (single) aileron channel.
    If you want control over either aileron (one up, one down - for spins) then you need to use aileron/elevator mixing ("elevons") which uses the aileron channel and elevator channel (like I want to do as soon as the code is implemented).

This information is based on Ardupilot Mega but the Ardupilot normal already does it as far as I believe.
  • 3D Robotics
    That's something on the features list for a future version. The vast majority of users use a Y harness to control two aileron servos with the same channel, so we're focusing on them first. But it's a pretty simple code enhancement to do it on two channels. Just not a top priority for the dev team right now, although since the code is open source you're very welcome to add that functionality yourself.
    Why two channels?

Normally we use a Y cable to connect the two servos.
This reply was deleted.

Activity